Recordings of Past Programs of the League of Women Voters Tompkins County
January 22, 2018 Death with Dignity: Physician-Assisted Death – Pro and Con 7:00-8:30 pm Borg-Warner Room, Tompkins County Public Library
The League of Women Voters of US and of NYS do not have a position on physician-assisted death. There are 5 states that have laws allowing this type of death: Washington, Oregon, California, Montana and Vermont. The League of Women Voters of New York State are looking at the possibility of having a position on physician-assisted death. They have gathered information that Utah studied, and we will at the end of the program vote to support or oppose a death with dignity position.
The panelists listed below present pro and con arguments about physician-assisted death. They are Daryl Bem who is a retired Cornell professor of psychology and husband of a woman who ended her life with death-inducing drugs. Next we have Edie Reagan who is the coordinator of spiritual care at Hospicare. We then have Corrine Cary who is an attorney and has been with Compassion and Choices, the largest and most active non-profit organization focused on extending life. Finally, we have John O’Brien who is a board-certified family physician and will present a con argument on physician assisted death.
* Kay Sharp, LWVTC, Speaker Introductions (1.5 minutes)
* Daryl Bem, Ph.D, Retired Cornell Professor, Family Member (18 minutes)
* Edie Reagan, M.Div., LMSW, Coordinator of Spiritual Care, Hospicare & Palliative Care Services (17 minutes)
* Corinne Carey, Esq., NY Campaign Coordinator, Compassion and Choices (19 minutes)
* John O’Brien, M.D., Board Certified Family Physician (19 minutes)
* Kay Sharp, Questions and Closing (18 minutes)
November 13, 2017. Impact of Federal and State Budgets on Tompkins County Borg Warner Room, Tompkins County Public Library
Panel explaining how budget cuts, reallocation of monies, and state and federal mandates can affect local resources:
• Joe Mareane, Tompkins County Administrator
• Frank Kruppa, Tompkins County Health Dept.
• Patricia Carey, former Director of Dept. ofSocial Services-TC
• Lisa Homes, County Office of the AgingDirector
• Beverly Chin, Human Services Coalition-Health Planning Council Director
Click here for video recordings.
September 25, 2017 New York State Constitutional Convention Forum
Barbara Lifton, NYS Assembly Representative for District 125 presented the “con” voice and
Dr. Henrik N. Dullea, Vice President for Community Relations Emeritus, Cornell University
presented the “pro” voice.
Click here for video recording.